BJJ – Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Learn Jiu Jitsu from the only Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) Black Belt in Buford, GA.

Gentry’s MMA and Fitness’ Jiu Jitsu program caters to hundreds of people looking to improve their life through real martial arts training.

By real martial arts, we mean a martial art that is effective in real life – whether that be in a self-defense setting or competitively. Real martial arts like Jiu Jitsu give you something that traditional martial arts can’t.

Coach Phillipe Gentry winning the Pan American Championship

Coach Phillipe Gentry winning the Pan American Championship

The History of Jiu Jitsu – Short Version

Jiu Jitsu is an ancient art that can be traced back to the Japanese Samurai.  It’s argued where Jiu Jitsu truly began but, many believe it was developed by monks from modern day China.

Almost 100 years ago a Japanese Judoka named Mitsuyo Maeda brought Jiu Jitsu to Brazil where he trained Carlos Gracie who then trained his brother Helio Gracie. This was the birth of what’s commonly known as Gracie Jiu Jitsu or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ).

As the Gracie family grew, so did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  The Gracie Challenge was born and with it many contests where the Gracie’s proved the effectiveness of their new style. By accepting challenges from all comers, The Gracies proved time and time again, that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the greatest martial art in the world.

Later, the UFC which now the largest competitive fighting organization in the world offered a platform the made Jiu Jitsu famous world wide. Pure Jiu Jitsu (grappling with submissions) has also developed in a sport with a huge following. More than 2,500 competitors were at the World Championships in 2014 and each event continues to grow.

Jiu Jitsu has also become the art of choice for US Special Forces, SWAT and Mixed Martial Arts Competitors.

Phillipe Gentry who is an active competitor received his black belt from Romero “Jacare” Cavalcanti after a decade of training. Jacare received his black belt from Rolls Gracie who was the son of Carlos Gracie.

bjj

Having fun after class!

Gentry’s Unique Training Environment

The focus at Gentry’s MMA and Fitness is to build a community of like minded individuals who use Jiu Jitsu as a tool to improve their lives on multiple levels.

Gentry’s MMA and Fitness is a great place to learn Jiu Jitsu for the first time.  After trying your free class and enrolling, you’ll get your On Ramp Book that will help navigate you through your first 12 Classes. The On Ramp Program is designed to teach you the fundamentals of Jiu Jitsu while increasing your strength and endurance in a safe and controlled environment.

After graduating the On Ramp Program, you’ll move into the regular curriculum where you will have the opportunity to apply your new techniques in a live setting.  This style of training is what separates Jiu Jitsu from traditional martial arts, making it far more effective and realistic.

About 10% of the athletes at Gentry’s are competitors.  The other 90% practice Jiu Jitsu to strengthen their mind and body while hanging out with a bunch of cool people.